Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday's Athlete Profile - Chuck Dumke

If there's prize money involved in a race and Chuck Dumke shows up, you may as well fill in the "Pay to the order of" with his name. Chuck Dumke, Ph.d is immersed in the athlete's dream life, both professionally and personally. He is a professor at Appalachian State University in the area of exercise sciences and is currently teaching: Exercise Physiology I: Cardiopulmonary and Metabolic Aspects, Nutritional Aspects of Exercise and Sport , Biomechanical and Physiological Laboratory Assessment.

Chuck is a tremendously gifted athlete and matches that natural talent with hard training. I was able to get him to take a few minutes out of his busy schedule to interview him.




1. Tell us about yourself. Family, work, hometown, etc. Just got married on June 30th on Orcas Island this summer. (San Juans north of Seattle) I am an Exercise Science professor at Appalachian State. Grew up in Wisconsin, and moved to Boone in 2000.

2. I've come across your name as a top-placing participant in a number of events from cycling and running to multi-sport events. What's your background in endurance sports? What got you started in it?
I was a ball sport kid growing up, football, basketball, baseball, tennis... etc... Basically just hyper, and that was what the other kids were doing. Then after college graduation everyone just slowed down, so I had to find the 'silent sports'. I went on several bike tours around the country and elsewhere and was hooked on the bike. I did my first tri in 1986, but barely finished. I did another in 91, then ran into a pack of guys in Missoula, MT when I was getting my masters that really started my multi sport career. We started team Stampede which is still running strong today.

3. Have you always been successful in these races?
Ball sports always came kind of easy to me... cycling too, but swimming has been my downfall. But I won my first triathlon in 1994, and have been training, racing, and winning at least one or two races a year since.

4. Do you have a favorite event, cycling, running, distances, etc? Are you most successful at that event or another one?
I am probably a stonger cyclist than the others, but my running has built up over the last few years. I dont have a typical runners body type and cant handle big mileage, but the years of training have built on each other so now I can do better.

5. I read about some research you're doing for the Western States 100 Mile Running Event. What's that about?
I have been going out to the WS100 for 7 years in a row. We have done research on several aspects, the effect of the race on immune function and oxidative stress, how NSAIDS (ibuprofen) affect your response to the race, how several supplements may affect your recovery and muscle damage. One year I did a 40 mile section of the course with a metabolic cart strapped to my back. I wanted to see what sort of energy expenditure the racers were going through. Very interesting results. Because of that, this last year I collaborated and we used a fancier technique called double labeled water which allows us to see energy expenditure and water turnover.

6. What's a typical training week for you?
With my job it is tough. It is a rolling schedule that is flexible to weather, work and time available. Essentially in the summer when I have more time it will be about 40 miles running, 200 miles riding and about 8000 yds swimming. Usually with a race in there on the weekend.

7. Are you very technical (HR monitor, GPS, nutrients, etc.) in your training or go more on "feel"?
Funny, because I am in the field, I dont want to take my work with me when I train. Everyone expects me to be this really scientifically based trained athlete. But when I train, I leave the numbers behind. At work I am a scientist, when I train I am an artist. It becomes my creative outlet.

8. How does it feel to be in the "Masters" category now? I had to ask this since I just turned 40 and am having trouble coming to terms with it...
Yeah, me too. I have to admit that it has been nice to find that masters awards are sometimes as nice if not better than the overall awards. But it has also been nice to win overall as a masters. I am not ready to pull out the age card yet. I am still trying to win races. I guess I must admit as well that I am enjoying still racing pretty well, as I have begun to realize that it wont be forever. Just trying to enjoy the time now. I find it funny how when I was 39 noone gave me a hard time, but now I am 41, and I am the 'old guy'. Its like people expect you to fall off of a cliff and geriatric in one year!

9. What and/or who inspires you as a competitor/athlete?
I am not the sort to have heroes per se. What I appreciate seeing in others is doing great things under the radar of media recognition. Those people that just go out and complete good, great or even spectacular things without fanfare. Like that guy (Goran Rupp or something) who rode his bike from Sweden to Everest, climbed the mountain, helped save the rich people involved in the disaster the resulted in the book "Into Thin Air", then rode home. Or the ultra woman who watched Dean Karnazes tell Letterman he was going to be the first to run 250 miles continuously, then went out and did it the next day. I enjoy creating self made adventures that are done in a fun environment with crazy friends. One year me and some friends went out and rode the RAMROD, ride around mount rainier in one day (~120 miles), then spent 3 days running the Wonderland trail around mount rainier. We had a blast. Being in shape enough to pull off outdoor adventures at a moments notice... I guess that is it.

10. Do you have a favorite specific race?
I am enjoying more the 'non-traditional multisport' lately. The paddle, trail run, mountain bike... or paddle-run, or swim-push ups.. whatever. I like when something new comes up that involves several sports. Traditional triathlon is kinda boring me lately... I have done a few adventure races, and like them, but it is an investment in time and equipment I cant always pull off. There is a race up in Illinois, not sure it still exists. It was called the 'Ultimate Athlete' or something like that. Dont quote me, but they had things like a 50 yd sprint, mile run, football throw for distance, 100 yd swim, 1 RM bench press, tennis serve for speed (radar clocked), baseball throw for accuracy.. . something like 15 events, all in one day. I would have loved to do that! Unfortunately I could never do it. But that sort of concept, mediocre at many things, but enjoying doing it all.

11. What's your proudest moment? Both in sports and in life.
ah... mmmm.... not sure I am ready to relinquish that yet. That is not for public consumption.



Thanks for your time, Chuck and good luck to you!

No comments: