Monday, March 10, 2008

Are We In Kansas Yet?


Are We In Kansas Yet?
Tim Long

Windy conditions make for an interesting time at the 2008 Corporate Cup Half Marathon in Charlotte, NC.

I arrived at the event at an early 6:50AM, parked the truck and walked to the registration area. It was breezy, but not alarmingly too windy at that point. After picking up my timing chip, I went back outside where it was like someone had flipped the wind machine switch. It must have been blowing at a solid 30mph with gusts bursting at 70mph. The volunteers were having trouble setting up the food. The timing crew, like most seasoned timers, just went about their business of setting up the equipment and staging area as though nothing was amiss.

The temperature was surprisingly close to 60, so I opted for just a singlet, shorts and light gloves to wear and headed back over to the indoor registration area. After chatting with a few people, we made our way to the start. There were probably 2,000 people. I stood off to the side of the start line since the baby joggers were starting first. Once they started moving, I slipped into position with my left toe on the start line and waited. I enjoy race starts. Everything gets very narrow in the focus of what's coming up. The noise faded, the chill on my arms warmed, the wind even dissolved for that instant. And we're off!

Like most everyone I spoke with before the race, I already knew the goal time I set for myself was likely not going to happen in the conditions we had, but I settled into a good pace anyway. The Corporate Cup is one of those annoying events in which the half marathon and 5k begin at the same time, so you have a stampede of kids and others weaving in and out around you, and surging then fading. It's a little aggravating when you're trying to get into a rhythm to find your pace.

Finally, we get through the three mile mark and the 5k runners are gone. Now, I begin to notice the wind. It was like the tornadoes I grew up enjoying. Except this was everything but enjoyable. I slowed the pace, shutting everything down between mile 7 and 8, and just relaxed for the rest of the run, which allowed me to enjoy it more. Coming up the final long hill and then the straight 1/4 mile to the finish was atrocious. The wind swirled and changed directions with heavy gusts. You'd be fighting a head-on wind, leaning into it, then it would stop for an instant and gust from the side throwing you off balance. I felt like a drunk sailor coming up the final straight.

After crossing the line, I found a little shelter in view of the finish. The heavy metal barricades were falling over with loud, clanging crashes. At one point the wind found purchase under a tiny gap in the timing mats, that weigh 50lbs each, and flipped them up in the air. I had never seen that particular style of mats swept up like that before. I was surprised and relieved that nobody got injured (that I know of) that morning.

The overall organization of the event left a lot to be desired. I stood around for two hours after I finished and never did see the results posted. It wasn't announced where exactly the awards ceremony was being held. The race bags were weak with the normal Charlotte race event, cheap t-shirt, a plastic cup, and an old bottle of vinegary-flavored sports drink. I've come not to expect much more, but at least spare the environment a little and don't bother with the the plastic bags.

Hats off to the timing crew. The start, splits, and finish were accurate. Working under those conditions is very difficult, and they did a good job keeping everything together.

Congratulations to everyone who participated. Results are HERE.

No comments: