Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Exercising When Sick - Yes or No


Exercising When Sick - Yes or No
Tim Long

Most of the seeds for the daily articles I write here online for CHF magazine come from personal interest or experience, which is the case with most writers unless contracted to write about specific topics. So, I've been sick for the last few days and the timing isn't good (is it ever good timing to be sick?). I'm ramping up my training and running mileage, trying to follow my new coach's workout program, and deal with the everyday personal and professional things, just like we all do.

So, today I'm saying burn your tissues and rattle your pill filled medicine bottles; it's a revolution against the cold! Ok, so a bit melodramatic, but don't we all get a little sensitive and over dramatic when we're sick? I know I feel at least somewhat better when someone says (with head tilted and sad eyes.....helps when it's a cute female....), "Aww, you poor thing, I hope you feel better." I'm sure this need for sympathy is left over from trying to get your way with your mother: getting out of chores (yes, some of us had chores), being able to watch TV, and getting a special food like brownies or ice cream.

Now it seems all those great things are gone since I moved out of my mother's house 22 years ago (she won't take me back, I've tried). Now I'm left on my own to deal with the nagging cough, runny and sore nose, and dull headache. I've found that maintaining my regular exercise routine has no ill effects on my being sick. I won't go as far as to say it cures my cold or sickness, but I will say it makes it more bearable.

Apparently, it's been shown that exercising while sick neither hurts nor helps the common cold. However, there are some guidelines to follow when approaching the decision whether or not to get out there and sweat up a storm while your nose is running like Niagara Falls.

Dr. Cathy Fieseler gives this advice when asked whether it's good or bad to run while sick:

"There are a few basic rules about exercising while ill. If you are running a fever or have body aches, don’t work out. The greatest concern about exercising while ill is that it may increase the likelihood of developing myocarditis—infection of the heart muscle. This is probably more likely when fever and/or body aches are present.

Otherwise, use the neck check, a guideline recommended by Dr. Randy Eichner, prominent physician for the University of Oklahoma football program. If your symptoms are above the neck (sore throat, congestion, etc.) it is okay to work out if you are up to it. This is not a time to push the intensity of workouts; I’ve seen a number of people develop long-term symptoms after working out too intensely while ill. Moderate workouts should be fine.

More than ever, it’s important to make sure that you are getting adequate rest and fluids."


So, get out and snub your red nose at that cold by running, walking, and cycling. And if you see me while I'm sick like this week, please tilt your head to the side, conjure up a sad face, and say, "Aww, you poor thing. I hope you feel better." Some homemade cookies would be nice too.

No comments: