Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Renaissance Park - The Trails

Renaissance Park - The Trails
Tim Long

It often surprises me when I mention Renaissance Park and the trail system there to someone and he says he never knew there were trails at Reni. They've been there for a number of years and were built and are maintained by the Trailblazers Mountain Bike Club.

The trails are primarily two separate loops (think bow tie shape) that are connected through the parking lot. Each loop is roughly three miles. Charlotte Mecklenburg Parks and Recreation manages most of the land they occupy but there is a section owned by the land owners of the old Coliseum (imploded last year).

I enjoy running and riding the trails there for a number of reasons but primarily because they are fairly technical for an urban park and they are very easy to get to after work. Not having been out there for a few months, I've noticed the last couple times I ran out there that they are in fairly rough shape. A lot of erosion has occurred, leaving teeth jarring exposed roots criss-crossing nearly every step of the trail. It makes the running more challenging and more fun in my opinion, but the riding isn't quite the same as it was when they were in better shape.

Give the Renaissance trails a try. They're great for dog walking, hiking, and running. If you want to try them for mountain biking, be prepared to have your eye balls jarred loose.

The trail entrances are in the back parking lot of:
1536 W. Tyvola Rd.
Charlotte, NC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Decent trails to run. Much better places to go and ride the Mountain Bike. If I was riding I would go to Beatty for The Newbies and Anne Springs for the more experienced. Those are my two favorite trails to MTB.

Sorry I missed the running group at Reni last night. I am scared of rain. :)

Local Mind Media said...

Didn't miss a lot. Cold, dark, foggy...