Friday, February 15, 2008

Kings Mountain Military Park 16 Mile Trail

Kings Mountain Military Park - 16 Mile Trail
Tim Long

I don't recall exactly how I found out about this diamond in the ruff. I ran this trail last summer shortly after completing my first 50k race, so I thought, "16 miles, heck, that's easy...." Well, when I went to sign in (you have to sign in when venturing into "the back country" trails), the ranger said I was the first person who's ever run the trail. Thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, I told him not to worry, that I'd be out in a couple hours no problem.

Right from the beginning I could tell no one had been on the trail in quite a while. It was somewhat overgrown, very large fallen trees across it, cobwebs every ten feet getting wrapped around my head, and the biting bugs were on my sweaty body like African deer flies on an elephant carcass. It was slow going but I kept my pace for the first 10 miles. Being so macho, I only brought one hand held water bottle and had sucked through that baby in the first 45 minutes, and wolfed down my one energy gel as well. So now I'm a bit nervous knowing no matter which direction I go I'd have to cover about the same amount of ground to get out of there.

It was tough going, so I was mildly ecstatic when I saw a mileage sign indicating I had only two miles to go. By this point it had been almost three hours, two of which with no water or food and playing the bug-dance game trying to keep all the flying little creatures out of my eyes and mouth. It was so frustrating that I actually started hyperventilating (something I've never experienced). So, I stopped, gathered my composure and walked the rest of the way out.

The ranger exposed a wry smile when he saw the condition I was in as I was signing out. Shirtless, dirty, sweaty, small cuts and scrapes, I lied and told him I had a great time.

Now that I've made this trail sound so inviting, I'd like to point out that it is a gem of a trail that no one really knows about. I think I was literally the first person on it last year when I ran it in July. There is no way a mountain bike could be used on it. It is run-able for the most part. With the respect I have for it now, I'll be better prepared. And I can prepare other folks for what to expect. You'll be very satisfied and very tired when you complete it. So, come on out this Sunday and join me for a mini-adventure.


What: 16 mile trail loop (can turn around at any point to make it shorter)


Where: Kings Mtn Military History Park Website
2625 Park Rd
Blacksburg, SC 29702
(864) 936-7921


When: Sunday, Feb. 17th at 10:00AM


What to bring: Water bottle(I suggest at least 40 oz.), nutrition (bars, gels, etc), warm clothes to change into afterwards, and a fun adventurous attitude.


Details: I plan to run the trail. It's rugged with downed trees,
creek crossings, rocks, roots, decent short hills. You can't get
lost; it's a loop! My estimate is 4.5 hours to walk the entire loop (brisk pace).
2.5 hours to run it.


Cost: $0

Tim Long
footfeathers@gmail.com
Ph: 303.828.7474

No comments: