Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stretching Found To Have No Effects?

Stretching Found To Have No Effects?
Tim Long

I've never understood why stretching has been so debated and so disliked by so many people. The New York Times published an article yesterday about stretching or, more accurately, about a study done that found stretching is not shown to help decrease injuries or soreness in runners.

Believe me. I don't look forward to stretching (and sometimes dread it) because it does take time. But I'm always glad I did it, especially the next day when I go for another run. A lot of people seem to rely on the run itself to loosen them up. I like to feel good right from the start and feel like something's wrong if I don't feel good until 20 mins into it (which happens). When I am stiff or sore at the beginning of a run, I know I've either not fueled or hydrated correctly or didn't stretch enough or need to back off.

I've spoke to enough sports doctors and massage therapists and have never had even one tell me stretching is not good.

I welcome readers' comments. Do you stretch?

No comments: